Friday, July 14, 2006

Captain America - Winter Soldier by Ed Brubaker & Steve Epting


One great thing about working at Nostalgia & Comics is the chance to try things out that I wouldn't normally pick up. Last week I was casting about the shelves and asked Tara if there was anything particularly great she'd recommend. And this was one of several titles she put forward.
Now, I'd been hearing really great things about this new Captain America serial from far and wide. Both Tara and Rich at Nostalgia & Comics loved it, Stephen Holland at Page 45 loved it & it's written by Ed Brubaker which is usually an indication of quality. So I thought I'd give it a try.
And all I can truly say about it is that it's not bad.
That really is damning with faint praise isn't it?
It's a good story, good art. Kept me reading all along. But nothing jumped out and grabbed me in the way that, for example, Warren Ellis' Fell or Bendis' Avengers did.

If you're after a good, solid Cap story this isn't a bad place to start but if you're after a great Ed Brubaker story try Sleeper, or his new run on Daredevil.
Sorry Tara. Sorry Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment