Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Planetary # 26 by Warren Ellis & John Cassaday


I love Planetary.

I love it deeply. I honestly believe it's one of the best comics I've read in a long while. It is simply stunning genre fiction, and every single new issue is a delight, always leaving me gasping for more. Which is a problem, because each issue takes about 6 months to come out.

Oh well. Do you want it good or do you want it fast applies I suppose.

This is the last real issue of Planetary. Issue 27 is an epilogue. So this is the issue everything has been building up to, all the clues, all the twists, all the mystery.

And it's a let down.
To be fair, it was a let down the first time I read it. It was always bound to be. Warren Ellis has built it up so much over the past 25 issues that to try and tie it all up in a mere single issue was always bound to be a let down.

But then I read it again, and again, and again.
And it works. It really does.
Warren finishes it the only way that he could, with one huge, final twist. The stunning ease of the finish works.

Planetary - stunning. Now pop down to your local comic shop and buy all the books.

If you're anywhere near Nostalgia & Comics in Birmingham - 14-16 Smallbrook Queensway, go in and buy them from the best store in the world.
Tell them I sent you.
That way, they'll hopefully send me issue 27 as well, just so I can get the final epilogue and really finish the tale off.

No comments:

Post a Comment