Monday, October 16, 2006

Press 1 for an annoying voice, press 2 for another annoying voice, press 453 for a real person....

Today was our first day of not working.
So to celebrate Louise and I spent the best part of 4 hours on the phones getting in touch with all the companies, utilities and organisations we need to transfer our address from Birmingham to Pocklington.

I am very, very,very fed up with hearing endless automated lists ... press 1 for this, press 2 for that, press 3 for the other. That sort of thing.
I'm sure someone in these companies listens to these recordings and will hear me intoning into the phone "please just let me talk to a human bloody being. Is that too much to ask?" over and over and over again.

But we're mostly done now, thank god.
The favourite was the TV license automated system which goes one stage of annoying beyond the usual automated number system. It uses the automated voice recognition where you have to speak down the phone and it tries to recognise what you said.
Or in this case, fails miserably to recognise what I said.
In the end, I think it gave up before I did and just asked me to record my new address which it then promised to play back to a real human being who would change the address for me.
But I don't believe it. So I'm phoning again in a few weeks to check and if it hasn't I'm going to read it poetry until it self destructs.

(Can you tell it's been a long and tiring day?)

No comments:

Post a Comment