Monday, January 08, 2007

Boris Johnson - Lend Me Your Ears

Lend Me Your Ears (Amazon link)

A little while ago I picked up a copy of Boris Johnson's journalism - Lend Me Your Ears. It was either a Christmas fete or a charity shop - Only a quid, so how can you go wrong?

I've long harboured the belief that Boris Johnson, beneath that surface of buffoonery and incompetence is a very sharp, intelligent man.
He also seems to me to be a fairly genuine politician, either not afraid to speak his mind or too naive to realise the problems it can cause.

And after reading his journalism I feel pretty vindicated in that view. He writes well, in a relaxed, almost conversational style and although I don't necessarily agree with him some of the time, I at least feel like his arguments are well worth listening to.
So perhaps the blonde haired nincompoop, full of bluster and upper class twotery is a little deeper than we think? Sadly, in a world of politics where surface and presentation is everything we may never really have a chance to find out. Pity. I'd have liked to have seen him become a real politician and take on serious responsibility, just to see if I was right about the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment