Friday, January 19, 2007

Equal Rites - Terry Pratchett.

Terry Pratchett - Equal Rites (Amazon Link)

Popped into one of Pocks charity shops in passing and picked this up for 50p.
It's been a long time since I read anything by Pratchett and even back then I only read a couple from the library. But watching the Hogfather on Sky at Christmas made me think about the books again.

Now I know a lot of people read Pratchett in far too obsessive a manner. And even more people use this as a very large stick to damn the writer as a simple sci-fi hack, pushing the books out by just recycling a couple of tired ideas.

And to a small degree that may well be true. I certainly couldn't read many of his books without really feeling I'd been here and done that once before. But the books are certainly fun little reads, with enough nice bits and funny bits to keep me reading till the end.

I suppose in that way, it's strangely similar to reading Douglas Adams. They're the literary equivalent of the big blockbuster movie. And in my case with Pratchett, take only a little longer to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment