Sunday, February 25, 2007

Haven't read Civil War and after this, it's unlikely I ever will......

Best Civil War type quote thing in the wake of the car crash that is issue #7 has to go to Graeme Macmillan over at The Savage Critic:

Here's the worrying thing about CIVIL WAR #7: The possibility that this really was the best that they could come up with.

Dear Tom Brevoort, I really like you and all, but if you really thought that this issue resolved an ideological conflict, you are high and need to calm down. Also, I think you'll find that a lot of fan complaints about this issue are based in more than just "No-body died??!!".

In the end, I think it's fair that I (like many others) went into this with lowered expectations and yet somehow still found myself disappointed. But it's still going to massively outsell everything else this month - and maybe this year - so really, what does my opinion matter?

And that's probably the saddest thing about the whole sorry state of all things Civil War. It was an absolute bag of shite and yet it will still be read by thousands, tens of thousands more people than will read, say, Fell, Fluffy, Alice in Sunderland, Phonogram, Owly, Casanova, or anything else that's on my upcoming wants list.

Christ almighty, I'm not against populist comics, but bloody hell, can't they at least be good populist comics? Even Millar can manage that with the Ultimates for God's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment