Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Polyphonic Spree

The new Polyphonic Spree cd; The Fragile Army, popped onto my doormat last Tuesday.
Those of you who know me may be wondering why there hasn't been endlessly talked about - after all, I absolutely love the band.
Well, the truth is, the cd is a little bit of a disappointment. It has all the elements of a fantastic album, all the essential Polyphonic Spree-ness is there, but it's just not quite hanging together so perfectly as the first two cds did.

The initial promise of greater things to come after listening to the mashup sampler version of the cd hasn't happened and I'm left feeling that this isn't the Polyphonic Spree I love.

There are some wonderful, truly uplifting and ecstatic moments on here, but nowhere near as many as the previous cds. Mental Cabaret stands out, Get Up & Go is great, Running Away has it's moments. But overall, not as good as I was expecting / wanting / hoping. And maybe that's the problem; maybe I was just expecting / wanting / hoping for the impossible?

Of course, in a few weeks time or a few months, it may have grown on me the way all truly great albums do, and I could be proclaiming it a work of genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment