Thursday, April 03, 2008

Sewerby Hall & Gardens

Molly and I spent a delightful day at Sewerby Hall in Bridlington today, there's a lovely small zoo there and most importantly for Molly, a fantastic putting green and pitch and putt course. It would have made my grandpa very, very proud of his great-granddaughter to see her swinging a club with gusto and no small skill on the pitch and putt.
He was a great man, and loved his golf. When I was about Molly's age he had a set of cut down clubs made for me to practice with. He was obviously hoping that I'd take up the sport and follow in his footsteps. (Particularly after my dad decided that jazz drumming was far better than golf.)

Unfortunately I never really took it up. Although we did develop a two hole course between our house and the next door neighbours. One hole in our garden and one in theirs, with the added fun of a 3rd and 4th hole being played over the fences.

Of course, what I remember most about that is smashing dear old Andrew in the face with a wood as he stood behind me on the tee. Ooops. There was much blood.

Anyway, I didn't take it up and feel grandpa would have always held a little disappointment over that. But as I watched Molly get better and better over the 6 holes we played of the ten hole course, I thought he'd be smiling.

The walled gardenview to the pasture

into the zoo - molly's favourite monkey of the day

she also loved the wallabys. very cute.

and the penguins were a hit as well. although I could only think of this as I watched them.

putting

pitching. much better than putting. more violence involved.

pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment