Monday, December 15, 2008

One more thing to hate X-Factor for - Hallelujah to be Christmas # 1

Having missed the X-Factor marathon Louise and Molly had last night I was unaware until now of the choice of song for the winner to get to number 1 with, further destroying the idea of the Christmas # 1 being something special, like it was when I was a kid.

It's Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. A beautiful song. Covered over the years by many other artists, most notably Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright. But Cohen's is still the masterpiece.

Yet now, some horrible X-Factor winner is recording it. If I never hear it I will be thankful. Tell me it's wonderful if you want, tell me how she's a great singer. I just don't care. Cowell's a great businessman, but what he's systematically doing to music is unforgiveable. And yes, I know that the music business has always been a business. It's his absolute domination that I despise. That and the way that children now see the X-Factor route as the best way to do music. They don't see any actual creativity being involved at all.

Horrible.

To make up for it, have a Cohen You Tube. Some god awful foreign TV appearance, but the song shines through....



The only upside - Leonard Cohen earns a £million from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment