Sunday, April 05, 2009

Yep, that's pretty much how I felt about V For Vendetta, the movie...

Vs

Sometimes you read something and realise that it's said everything you needed to say on the subject.

Padraig O'Mealoid has a reposting of his 2006 V For Vendetta movie review over at his Glycon Alan Moore live journal. And he pretty much nails it. The film being good, the obvious problems with adapting one of Moore's works for film and what to do to compress it without destroying the subtleties. But most of all Padraig really covers the feeling of guilt that actually liking the movie engenders within this reader:
Put simply, V for Vendetta is quite possibly the best film I’ve ever seen. Its impact on me when I first saw it was such that I found myself in tears almost continually from beginning to end. On the other hand, I can give you a very good argument as to why the film should never have been made in the first place. I’m so personally torn about the fact that I like the film so much. I absolutely agree that Moore and David Lloyd deserve to have their intellectual property returned to them. On the same line of reasoning, I can see that Moore wouldn’t have wanted the film made, and have no choice but to agree. However, the film did get made, and we can only judge it on what it is, and not what it might have been, or indeed might not have been.
It's also a very neat summation of Alan Moore's various film related troubles over the years and his relationship breakdown with DC comics because of them.

So instead of ever talking about why I think it's a great, but flawed, film that I feel guilty about watching yet find myself enjoying nonetheless, I shall merely leave Padraig's review as my own views on the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment