Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Diamanda Galas - thank you Kieron Gillen

I read and loved the latest issue of Phonogram the other night. For those of you that don't know, Phonogram is a wonderfully good comic by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie that is simply the best evocation of the magical ability of music I've ever read.



The first volume was good (review), but the first issue of the second volume absolutely blew that out of the water (review). The second issue goes one better. Unless the rest of the year proves to be the greatest year in comics so far in my life, Phonogram Volume 2 should find itself as one of the comics of the year.

Anyway, one of the things that Phonogram has done is led me to discover the work of Diamanda Galas. The trigger came from a simple 2 page back up story in Phonogram Volume 2, issue 2. Diamanda Galas sits at the pianoand sings. Gillen and Heard present that moment thus:



And from that image I knew I wanted to hear what they were communicating. I'm two albums in and I just know it's goin gto be annoying the other residents of Bruton mansions all week. Her voice is just amazing, her range incredible and what she does with both is mesmerising.



Diamanda Galas: official, wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment