Monday, November 30, 2009

Richard babbles on about reviews

For nearly 3 years now I've been reviewing comics over at the FPI blog. As far as I can tell it's going very well, I'm making a little name for myself in the oh so small world of UK comic-dom and because of that the comics and books to review keep rolling in.

This is a good and bad thing. It's fantastic to be well thought of, and lovely to get lots of stuff in the post for review. But it has meant that the review shelf has been constantly been overflowing with books that I feel pressured to review.

To that end I've been writing, writing and writing for the last few months to get it down to a manageable number. Ideally I'd love to have it completely clear and just review every new thing as it comes in. Oh, that would be lovely. And the grand plan is to start doing that come 2010.

Which is why I've been writing, writing and writing some more all this month just to get to that point. As long as I've been doing this I've managed about 15-20 reviews in a good month. But the plan for October and November was to do one a day, just to get the review shelf down to a manageable level.

October was a huge fail. But, with one day left in November, I've written 29 reviews and have the 30th and final review 60% finished. Barring calamity tomorrow I should have managed the very first 30 reviews in 30 days month. This means there's just 18 books left on the shelf to be reviewed in December. Yes, there may be some dropping through the post box in December, but it's usually a quiet month, and that should mean I'm clear for January.

I'm ridiculously pleased with myself.

Well, that was a rather meaningless post for anyone that wasn't me.

No comments:

Post a Comment