Thursday, January 06, 2011

Oh, I forgot - Film of 2010.....



Toy Story 3.

I blubbed. There was never going to be any question about that. But what surprised me about Toy Story 3 was just how wonderful and terribly sad it was.

So many reviews of the movie have talked about the tremendous sadness the reviewer felt, about the tears they shed when the child found it was time to give up it's toys and moved on.

But it wasn't like that at all. certainly not for me.

Toy Story 3 is all about growing up, certainly. But it's not about the child giving up the toys, not as toys.

It's an allegory - where the toys are the grown ups, the toys are the parents. And they're the ones who are doing the letting go, the child is moving away from the parents (toys) and it's the parents (toys) who have to stand back and pretend that they're singularly happy for their children, that this moment and countless moments along the way are not tearing their hearts into tiny pieces.

I can't believe I haven't read that more. It was as plain as the tears streaming down my face as I sat next to my 11 year old daughter. The same daughter who was about 5 when we first saw Toy Story 1 & 2 on dvd together.

It's about that moment when the child no longer wants to play with us, no longer needs us, has better and far more important things to do with their life than spend time with their parents - that's the emotion that Toy Story 3 brought forth so well.

Simply a wonderful film. And part of perhaps the only perfect trilogy there's ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment