Saturday, May 17, 2008

Music - it's so instant, so disposable.

I'm thinking now about all those times in years gone by when a tune would get into your brain and you'd have to wait ages before it was either released or you got to hear it again on the radio.
But all that has changed now.

This past week I'd found that the new single by The Ting Tings That's Not My Name was stuck in my head. So Friday night I hit the torrent sites for a copy. Do I want the single or the entire first album? Might as well get the whole album. So I did. Turns out it's not bad at all. Highly derivative of course, but I'm old and everything seems derivative now to me.

But it still strikes old, old me as to how disposable music has suddenly become. This is a good and a bad thing. On the bad side it means that we treat it as throw-away, yet it's made by people whose work we're just casting aside. Granted, most of them are complete morons and fools, but some of them may well be people we would want to cherish, mentor and support as they make our lives that little better.
On the good side it does mean that anything at all is pretty much instantly available.

Speaking of which:
You Tube video link to That's Not My Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment