Sunday, August 31, 2008

That Petrol Emotion - Live in London 26th August 2008



Of all the bands I've loved there are possibly a group of 10 that I'd consider my all time favourites. And, like many of us of a certain age, a lot of these 10 are no longer together. There are a couple who I have no hope of ever seeing live for various reasons (Cabaret Voltaire, Ultra Vivid Scene, Propaganda) and there are some who I know will tour at some point (The Cure, Kraftwerk, Duran Duran, Steve Wynn). And then there are those that I had seen when they were together but figured they broke up so long ago that there was no hope for a reformation.

Well, first to confound expectations was Carter USM, who I'm off to see in November. Much excitement. But better was to come, as I find out from the That Petrol Emotion website that this wonderful band, this underachieving, never had the success they deserved band, were getting together and doing three secret gigs at London, Dundalk and The Electric Picnic festival. That Petrol Emotion were my first ever gig. It was amazing. As was every single time I've seen them since then. The news got even better when I realised they were playing in August - holiday time! Okay, so it was also the day after Molly's birthday, but that was no problem - and suddenly the whole family is having a London trip.


(From sweetfoolthemouth's photostream on Flickr)

They played the Boston Arms, Dirty Water Club in Tufnell Park. The place was sold out and full as it could get. Anticipation was high, very high, as most of us were fans from last time around and we'd all been waiting at least 14 years for this moment.

Band makes the stage at ten. And the years melt away, time goes backward, aching backs, weightgain, mortgages, children and stress are all at least temporarily forgot and we're all back in our youth once more, dancing like idiots and having such a great time. I don't think I've ever seen so many middle aged men smile quite so much as I did that night. And I should know, because I was one of them. Grinning ear to ear for a couple of hot, sweaty, frantic and wonderful hours.

And if the audience felt the years wash away, the band certainly did. That Petrol Emotion were always a great live band, always tight and powerful, but they were incredibly good this night. They nailed it from the first song and I think they had just as much fun up there as we did watching them.


(From rickenley's photostream on Flickr)

So it was a spectacular, ecstatic, wonderful night watching one of the greatest live bands I've ever seen. The whole gig was just perfect. Thank you boys. But don't leave it so long for the next gig eh?

The plan was to take a few pictures, but that didn't happen, I was far too absorbed by the music to take photos. Luckily there were many people there and the footage is already out on Flickr (set 1, set 2, set 3, set 4). I imagine something will be up on You Tube pretty soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment