Monday, May 04, 2009

Hellboy II The Golden Army



It takes something special to make an all out big budget action adventure and make it seem like a spectacular art movie. I've had this on the list of things to watch for a long time. I enjoyed Hellboy I but I made a mental note to get Hellboy II after hearing Mark Kermode talk about it in glowing terms. He described it much the same as my opening line, talking about Guillermo del Toro's brilliance in crafting something rather speacial from a big budget film. It was everything I hoped it would be and more, with a richness and invention in the look of the film that was just like seeing Pan's Labyrinth all over again, except with lots of fighting.

Certainly made me want to go back to Mike Mignola's Hellboy comics and re-read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment