Sunday, August 29, 2010

One, Two, Three, Four ........ Scott Pilgrim

Yesterday, Louise had to work so Molly and I had a Saturday to ourselves and Molly decided that we were off to the pictures. The choice we had, according to Molly, was Grown Ups or Diary Of A Wimpy Kid.

Grown Ups I didn't fancy - it seems to me that it's one of those films where every ounce of funny in the film is already in the trailers, and two minutes of funny in a 90 minute movie didn't fill me with joy at the prospect of the £15 it costs now to get to the cinema. Wimpy Kid was the one we decided on.

Except I headed online to find out times whilst Molly was out getting her hair done - and if £15 for two cinema tickets seems extortionate, try £25 for getting an 11 year old's hair done. Wimpy Kid was on too early and there was no way we'd make it in time. The prospect of seeing Grown Ups wasn't something to look forward to.

And then I realised something:



Why the hell not? The timing was right, it was only a 12A, and as soon as I suggested it to her she was so up for it. Even better, it was on at City Screen - the lovely cinema in York that's somewhere between indie arts cinema and old fashioned local cinema.

We had a fantastic time. I'd heard enough about it to know it was going to be fun, and very true to Bryan Lee O'Malley's great graphic novel series. But I didn't think I'd enjoy it quite as much as I did. Almost everything was pretty much perfect. In fact, up until the very end, I don't think I could fault it. For some reason, the last 15 minutes just seemed a bit flat and not as exciting as it should have been, but apart from that - wow. And Molly absolutely loved it all.

So much so that we listened to the soundtrack all night when we got home and we're already planning on a second trip to see it sometime.

The strange thing is, it's possibly the first grown up movie I've ever gone to see with Molly. Before this, everything was either animated children's stuff (even if, like Toy Story 3 recently, there's a lot for me in it as well) or older child/teen movies like Harry Potter or Twilight. To me even Twilight still counts as a Molly film, possibly because it's not something I'd choose to go and see on my own.

But Scott Pilgrim was something different, a grown up movie that both of us wanted to see - and yes, that's just one more sign that she's growing up. Wonderful but still a little saddening.

No comments:

Post a Comment