Saturday, January 06, 2007

Perfect Saturday night viewing......?
TV vs dvds, is it the same as comics vs Graphic Novels?

Tonight it's back to back season 1 of Battlestar Galactica. Got the first 4 episodes through the post via Amazon rental.
After having watched the mini series the other day I have to admit to quite looking forward to this. Will let you know.

It does mean that I've finally given up on TV for any drama though.
It's just so much trouble to actually arrange to be in front of the TV to watch a regular slice of drama.
How much easier it is to simply wait till the dvd and watch it at your leisure. It also means that I'll be able to watch as much of it as I want and not have to suffer a weeks wait each episode until I eventually, inevitably, miss an episode anyway and then start to loose track, eventually dropping it altogether. (see Lost, ER, Desperate Housewives and countless other series).

And as I thought of this I suddenly realised that it's exactly the same process as I went through with comics a while back. A month between comics? How daft is that? Especially when most writers are already plotting stories as part of a collected whole now. Gone are the days of the single issue story in most of the books I want to read (which is not to say they don't have their place - please don't misunderstand me - I just prefer all my stories in one go).
Why wait a month for the story to advance, why do I have to remember which week I need to pop down the shop to get a particular issue? .
Instead I'd much rather wait six months or so after the series finishes and get the collected Graphic Novel, Trade Paperback, Collection, Thingy or whatsit.

And while we're on the subject isn't it about time that we all decided as grown ups what we're actually going to call a collected comic series?
Every few months it seems to be brought up. I'm told that I can't call comic A a Graphic Novel because it's already been a comic published in serialised form, I should call it Trade Paperback or something equally shit. Trade Paperback is one of the stupidest, brainless ways to describe a book. But sadly it's indicative of the way comic retailing has always been. It's insular, isolationist and anti-expansion. Or at least most of it is.
The rest of us, the ones who actually wanted to get new, non-comics reading customers through the door decided they were Graphic Novels because that's what the non comic reading public were calling them. And if it's good enough for them, frankly it's good enough for us as well.

Now I know Graphic Novel isn't the greatest thing in the world, but it may be the best we've got. We have to face it that the bookstores and society at large are not going to start racking us with the books and we're destined for the foreseeable future to sit in our own little section.
So Graphic Novel is fine thanks very much.

This was supposed to be a quick 5 minute post before the TV, look what happens when I sit and actually think. Bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment