Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I've got a new job (sort of)........

In addition to spending Monday looking after the computers and looking after molly I also landed myself another job on Monday.

Still at the same school, but from June I'm a Teaching assistant in the afternoons, looking after a Year 3 boy.
The current TA looking after him is moving into Foundation and the head wanted to know if I wanted to try it out. If I like it, it's mine for the next three years.
It's what I wanted to do - although I never thought I'd be working one-on-one in a more SEN role, but I'm still very excited by it and very, very scared. Six weeks of swotting up and talking to other TAs about the job will now ensue while I gear up for my new role. Lots of learning about phonemes, digraphs, literacy, numeracy, co-operative strategies, writing frames and other such phrases.

Still, from the conversations I've had so far with some of the staff, they all have confidence in me and tell me I'll do a good job, so I must be doing something right.

I'm still doing the ICT technician job in the mornings but this gives me more of a foothold in the school when my maternity cover contract ends in December. Hopefully I'll be able to carry on there even if the existing ICT technician does come back. Of course, I'm hoping that a combination of new motherhood and the prospect of having to spend most of her wages on childcare fees will mean she wont come back at all.
Fingers crossed.

But now I really have to look at getting that qualification to be a Teaching Assistant.
Seeing as I am a Teaching Assistant now, it might be a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment