Monday, January 07, 2008

Duran Duran - Red Carpet Massacre....


Now, as you may know, I love Duran Duran.
And as much as I love the early stuff, my real love for them comes into full bloom where most fans started to lose interest. So it's from Notorious that my interest really took off. Every album since then has been a joy.
(Obviously we're not really counting the Covers Album, we'll be skating over that particular little embarrassment).
As they got less successful and less cool, my love for them and enjoyment of the music grew larger.
I can't help but think that a lot of the musical inventiveness came from Nick Rhodes and his musical collaborator of the time Warren Cuccurello. Which probably accounts for the dire reunion album after Cuccurello was kicked out to allow the near-original 5 to reunite.

So, even though I didn't much care for the last cd: Astronaut (backward step musically with the reformed original line up) I got the new cd Red Carpet Massacre for Birthday.

They've decided to get new "hip" producers in and co-write the whole thing with Nate "Danja" Hills, the producer. Timbaland is involved in some of the tracks as is that Timberlake fellow.
I can see what they're doing. They've done it before. After the really successful early years they hired on Niles Rogers (Chic) and gave us Notorious, a very differenet sound, which to most people was a huge reason to stop listening. Now they're doing the same with producer de jour Timbaland and his protege Danja.

And after two listens I went downstairs and told Louise it was bloody awful. The best thing on it was the instrumental Tricked Out I said. Hate the production, hate the music.

But I've listened to it again. And again. And again. It's on heavy rotation now. It's grown all over me. It's still jarring to hear Timbaland rapping over a couple of the tracks . Some of the tracks are weak as anything, but dammit, even they're growing on me now. I guess I'm just a hopeless Duranny? Duranni? Duran-e?

No comments:

Post a Comment