Monday, December 21, 2015

Best Of The Year - 2015 - Music....

Incredibly this is coming out BEFORE the end of 2015... incredible I know.

Anyway, as always, it's a mix of things I heard new this year and older songs I fell in love with. Enjoy...

CARAVAN PALACE - LONE DIGGER (2015)


Saw this on Jools Holland and immediately sought out the album. Love it, love it, love it. 20s vibe meets electronica. Who could ask for more?

DURAN DURAN - PRESSURE OFF (2015)

 

Ok, so the new DD album wasn't a return to all that was brilliant about the band (All You Need Is Now was that), but it was a damn good record, with a few killer tunes. This was the lead single and still a cracking track.

PUBLIC ENEMY - NO SYMPATHY FROM THE DEVIL (2015)




Chuck D really has still got it. Great track off a really great album.

MASSIVE ATTACK - DAYDREAMING (LUV IT MIX) (1990)




Now, back in time for a Massive Attack remix I didn't hear till this year, of the song that got me into the band.

LE TIGRE - PHANTA (1999)


 

From Bikini Kill to Le Tigre and on... Kathleen Hanna just writes some excellent songs. 


TAYLOR SWIFT - SHAKE IT OFF (2015)




Seriously, was there anything this year as simply bloody joyous as this? Molly got me into Taylor Swift, and there's so much going on in her stuff, great songwriting, brilliant pop tunes, never more so than this piece of perfect pop. Smiling.

SLEATER KINNEY - NEW WAVE (2015)


 

Sleater Kinney returned at the start of 2015 and proved they were just as brilliant, just as relevant, just as fabulous as they ever were.

JULIANNA HATFIELD - FLEUR DE LYS (1995)

 

Loved Hatfield since The Blake Babies, but revisited her stuff this year, and Only Everything was on heavy rotation during one really tough drive this year. A new-found love of her voice came out of that.

SINEAD O'CONNOR - JAMES BROWN (2014)




Well, here's a first... can I find this on You Tube? Can I fuck. So instead click on the pic for the Last FM page.

SUMMER NIGHT IN HARLEM - BILL WITHERS / THE FANTASY (1971 / 2012)





The Fantasy is a project to take some classics, well known or long forgotten, and giving them the 12" treatment that simple wasn't available when they were released. I heard this one this year and was completely blown away. Sublime.

VOODOO RAY (REMIX) - A GUY CALLED GERALD




It's rather an electronica lite year this year, so where the hell do I put this classic? Well, here seems okay to be honest. This is here because I heard a great new remix of it. Except I can't find that... so here's the classic.

PINK FLOYD - WISH YOU WERE HERE (1975)


 

Yeah, wish you were here. Pink Floyd. Why not. "How I wish, how I wish you were here.... "

FLEETWOOD MAC - YOU MAKE LOVING FUN ( 1977)




Weird link thing... my dad used to know Christine McVie (well, she was Christine Perfect back then). Small world. Great song.... and one of those where there's so few lyrics, but they're just perfect...

Sweet wonderful you,
You make me happy with the things you do,
Oh, can it be so,
This feeling follows me wherever I go.
I never did believe in miracles,
But I've a feeling it's time to try.
I never did believe in the ways of magic,
But I'm beginning to wonder why.
Don't, don't break the spell,
It would be different and you know it will,
You, you make loving fun,
And I don't have to tell you you're the only one.
You make loving fun.
You make loving fun.

LANA DEL REY - VIDEO GAMES (2011)



Another one you couldn't have told me in a million years I'd get into... but here we go, life's a weird thing. And this Lana Del Rey track just kicks me in the guts every time I here it. 


THIS MORTAL COIL - YOU AND YOUR SISTER (1991)



Kim Deal and Tanya Donelly singing a beautifully stripped down duet... such beautiful lyrics as well..

"so let me whisper in your ear
don't you worry they can't hear
all I want to do is to spend some time with you
so I can hold you, hold you"

TOM WAITS - SOMEWHERE (FROM WEST SIDE STORY) (1978)



It might be just me. It might be just the song. It might be just the situation. But you try listening to this without a tear running down your cheeks?

ED SHEERAN - THINKING OUT LOUD (2014)



A bit like Taylor Swift this.. young kid, incredibly talented, great songwriter, and one who never really connected with me. Until this. Wow. Wow. Wow. Beautiful love song, means so much X

No comments:

Post a Comment