Saturday, February 21, 2009

I miss the old style tuning on televisions....

We've had a really temperamental TV for a long time, with a dodgy power supply which meant it would turn itself off and refuse to come out of standby whenever it deemed fit (usually when I'm watching Battlestar Galactica - I swear it hated me.)

Well yesterday night it turned itself off for good and went to the great big tele heaven in the sky. Luckily we knew this was going to happen and had already got the new one picked out. Ordered at 10 this morning from the local electrical store, delivered and installed at 2 this afternoon and I finally got around to actually sitting down to watch it at 11 this evening. Nice flatscreen thing.

Why, oh why, oh why do these new TVs have so many settings and choices. It's taken me 5 hours to get the picture and sound just right. I remember the first TV I ever owned, this white Ferguson portable TV with 4 settings; volume, brightness, contrast and colour. That was it. No choice at all, take what you're given and cope. Those were the days. This new one has hundreds of settings, all affecting the other settings. I miss the simplicity.

But now that it is set, I'm leaving it alone for a month, Louise has banned me from messing with the settings and may hide the remote if I even try.

No comments:

Post a Comment